Saturday, July 07, 2007

Moqueca de Camarão



I have just arrived from Brazil, where I had lots of nice food! One I specially enjoyed was Moqueca de Camarão, a traditional Brazilian seafood stew.
Following some tips from a Brazilian friend and after reading some recipes on the web, here goes my version of the recipe!
You will need:
  • 1 can of coconut milk (400 ml)
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 onion
  • 2 garlic gloves
  • Shrimps (500-600 g medium size)
  • 3 table spoons dende oil (Brazilian palm oil)
  • lemon and persil q.b.
And now the how to:
  1. Finely chop the onion and the garlic (I like to do it in the electric chopper).
  2. Put one table spoon of dende oil in a pan, add the onion, the garlic and the peppers chopped in cubes. Sweat the vegetables together in low/medium fire for five minutes or until softened.
  3. Meanwhile, peel the tomato and chop it very finely. Add it to the pepper/onion mixture and let it cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
  4. Add the coconut milk, plus 2 tablespoons of dende oil and stir well.
  5. Let cook for 10 minutes, stirring ocasionally.
  6. Add the shrimps and let it cook for ten minutes.
  7. In the end add lemon juice (I used half of a lemon) and chopped parsley.
I like to serve this dish with (white) rice. As you may have noticed I have not added any salt/pepper. Before serving you should try to make sure is according you taste!
Bom apetite :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger supercooldave said...

Looks absolutely delicious. I might try it out.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find that special Brazilian oil? The dish sounds amazing.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Xana said...

Hi, Lydia!

I got it from Brazil :)

But I have already found it in Amsterdam in a special delicatessen store.

Good luck!

-- Xana

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home