Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tuna Spread


I will start with a very modest recipe of a classic combination: tuna and capers. It is extremely simple, but perfect as sandwich spread or as an appetizer. Since I published this recipe the first time, I got a tip from my friend Lily to add Madame Jeanette pepper. I just tried it out, and like her, I can now hardly imagine the tuna spread without it! This small, pretty, yellow, crinkly pepper is quite hot, but if you remove the seeds, it just adds a warm, mysterious, almost smokey flavour. Try it!
  • 260 grams tuna (2 cans, strained weight)
  • 60 grams small capers, lightly chopped
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp Madame Jeanette pepper, carefully de-seeded and very, very finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 3 tbsp creme fraiche
  • salt and freshly ground (citrus) pepper to taste

Put everything in a bowl and work it with a spoon until it becomes a smooth spread. Serve with toast or fresh bread. Variations can be made by adding chopped black olives and/or finely chopped red onion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home